The story of my life...

Every day bar Saturday and Sunday goes something like this:

Wake-up.

Press snooze.

Snooze.

Press snooze again.

Snooze.

Get-up... eventually.

Feed the cats... otherwise I physically cannot walk anywhere in the house without tripping over them.

Scoop kitty litter.

Get ready for work. (I am running late because I pressed snooze too many times.)

Before I leave the house, I make sure that all the cats are accounted for (and not trapped in the wardrobe).


Travel to work.  I am a tight arse when it comes to paying for parking, so I catch public transport (which never fails to disappoint me). On some days I could literally walk the 3 km journey to work faster than the time the bus takes. On such days you will find me at my bus stop constantly looking at my watch trying to decide whether to walk or wait. Sooner or later (depending on how late the bus is) you will find me on the bus with my bitch face on, internally cursing the Adelaide public transportation system and thinking I could have walked faster!

Arrive at work.

Drink coffee and eat breakfast while reading news.com.au. I'm one of those people who reads the comments section of news stories. I miss reading the comments by the news troll called Kevin of Double Bay.

Work.

Breathe a sign of relief when it's lunch time. I love to eat, as well as shop in my lunch break...

Work some more and drink some tea.

Breathe a sigh of relief when it is home time. I love going home - home is where my heart is.

Some nights when I'm extra disorganised, I visit the supermarket to buy dinner ingredients. I spend way more money then I should on groceries going about things this way, but my trips to the supermarket hold some of the most exciting moments of my week (yes, really). So I enjoy doing this often.

Walk to the bus stop only to discover that I have missed my bus. The next one is not for another half an hour at this point of the evening... I now have my bitch face on again, internally cursing the Adelaide public transportation system and remember longingly that the trains in New York, London and Paris come every 5 minutes.

Get home finally and check our letterbox. (As I'm opening the letterbox, I pray for my magazine subscription delivery and not more bills.)

Walk through the door. It's quarter past six on a day that I managed to escape work a little early. It's pushing seven thirty if I've been held back a little or I've been to the supermarket. (Thanks go to Adelaide's public transport system for failing me yet again... I only live 3 km from work for God's sake! It shouldn't be this late already!)

Cuddle the cats (and my boyfriend if he happens to be home before me, which is hardly ever).

Scoop kitty litter.

Feed the cats a little bit of raw meat - I believe it is important for their teeth that they chew, but one of my cats 'Mishka' swallows pieces whole...

Cook dinner.

Load the dish washer. (I love this machine.)

At this point I look around the house and depending on the day of the week that it is, I either lament how I didn't do a good enough job cleaning the house over the weekend or how much cleaning there is to do next weekend.  Things do not seem to matter much on a Wednesday... I make a bigger mess.

Play with the cats.

It is late in the evening now.  This is when the realisation that it's almost bedtime sets in. It's funny, I'm still like a kid - I dread going to bed... (but the adult in me loves to sleep in late.)

Waste time - either mucking around on the internet or watching some TV.  Our favourite TV shows at the moment are Game of Thrones (my boyfriend regrets reading the books because at least twice in each episode I'll turn to him and ask "did that happen in the book!?") and Hannibal (so gripping, I'm pleased to read that it has been renewed for a third season). We are still watching Californication, although I really think this show is beyond dirty now. Surely people in real life do not converse like the characters on this show?!

Prepare breakfasts (yogurt, rolled oats and berries EVERYDAY) and lunches (leftovers EVERYDAY).

Get ready for bed.

Feed the cats (just a sprinkle) because at this point they are behaving like I've been starving them for a week. I know for certain now that this is the reason why they are fat, but I can't help myself.  I also change the water in their water bowls - one less thing to do in the morning... one extra minute of snooze time!

Go to bed.

My boyfriend and I discuss hopefully winning the lotto the next day so that the next morning is the last time we have to get up for work. EVER. (*Insert sarcastic laughter here* because we hardly ever buy lotto tickets.)

Turn off the lights (and annoy my boyfriend with the glow of my i device).

Fall asleep... eventually.

Do it all again the next day.

I sometimes feel a little jaded about my life, but then I remember that my boyfriend and I have our health, food on the table and a roof over our heads, not to mention very nice stuff and two very beautiful fat cats.  We are very lucky and I need to remember this every day.

Children should make things a little interesting... How do people do it?

6 comments:

  1. Hehe I really enjoyed this post. For some reason I find it interesting how people live and what they do on a day to day basis.

    From what I can tell, public transport issues are not isolated to Adelaide and I watch FAR too much tv (in comparison to you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great would it be if PT was more like in Europe?!
      I tend to watch TV in bursts... A few eps in one sitting and then no TV for the next few days.

      Delete
  2. This sounds exactly like my life, except without the cats! And now I'm hoping to add in, gym before work - although will see how we go with that.

    I loved reading this by the way - an interesting change of pace from your usual post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gym in the morning sounds like a great plan. I first need to stop pressing snooze before I plan to do anything in the morning!

      Delete
  3. This might sound funny but I had no idea you lived in Adelaide - I always thought you were in Melbourne too.

    One of the things I like best about my job is shift work imposes a lack of routine on you. Sometimes it isn't fun and coming home from work at 9pm only to know you've gotta be back there at 6am hurts but it does stop the repetition. And I remember my repetitive days like this very very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really love to mix things up a bit.
      Two weeks ago I met a friend for a drink after work.
      Last week my girlfriend and I went out to dinner, whilst our partners played squash together.
      I think it's just a matter of forcing myself to do things!

      Delete